pest repellants - Knowledgebase Question

Merchantville, Ne
Question by gsblessing
I have problems with squirrels in my garden. Besides digging up the lawns and gardens they will also take bites out of tomatos and squash. I have tried commercial repellents and cayenne pepper powder and nothing seems to work./ Is there any outdoor electronic products, such as sonic emitting items which would repel squirrels. I have noted there are sonic emitting devices for inside use.

0

Squirrels are so difficult to control! Spray on deterrents work - for a while, at least - as do shiny CD's hung from trees. Motion detectors hooked up to sprinkler systems can also help. I'm not aware of any outdoor sound emitters but you might try contacting your local cooperative extension office to see if they have any hints about what works best. Contact Rutgers Cooperative Extension, 42 Riva Ave. North Brunswick, NJ 08902.

In my garden, I hang peppermint oiled cotton balls from old sheer panty hose around the area where squirrels are being destructive. The smell of mint repels squirrels. I also hang a Slinky around the bird feeder, too--the bouncing springs will frighten the squirrels for a while.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"