Care for bulbs in containers - Knowledgebase Question

Columbus, Oh
Question by beckywardla
Hi.

Due to rooty soil in my newly purchased flower bed, I had to plant my perennial bulbs in two large containers. I know that usually you plant these in the ground in the fall so they can rest and get cold and then come up in the Spring. Since mine are in containers, is it ok to set the containers outside all winter so that the bulbs go through the same resting process or keep in basement?

0

It's absolutely okay to keep the containers outdoors over the winter months so the bulbs can experience a 12-14 week cold treatment. The only real concern is that clay pots can crack over the winter months if left outdoors. If your plants are in wooden or heavy plastic containers they probably won't crack. If they are in clay pots, you may want to try wrapping them with insulating material to help keep them from cracking.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"