Vines - Knowledgebase Question

lockport, Ne
Question by tec2011
I have 3 vines along the fence in my backyard. 3 are trumpet vines and 1 is a wisteria. Are these the same vines and what do i do to ready them for winter. I live in western new york just north of buffalo. Thank you.

0

Trumpet vines and wisteria are two totally different types of plants. The trumpet vine will die down to ground level in the winter but the roots will remain alive and will develop new vines next spring. Wisteria will lose its leaves and some of the more tender stems but as it matures it will develop a woody base which will live throughout the winter months. Not much winterizing is necessary. Wait until frost kills the vines and then cut them away and remove them from the garden. Mulch over the roots of your plants with a thick layer of organic material (pine needles, shredded leaves, straw, etc.) to help insulate them from winter's cold. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"