Weed Fabric and Liriope - Knowledgebase Question

Palmetto, Ge
Question by mcole02
I live in zone 7a - Georgia. What's the best way to control weeds aroun liriope? Is it advisable to put weed fabric around these plants? Do these plants

0

Landscaping fabric will keep weeds out of a lirope bed but it will stop the lirope from rooting as it spreads so I'm not sure that's the best approach. Lirope starts out as a small clump but it exands in diameter as it grows and it will root as it expands. For beds with groundcovers that you want to root as they spread, a thick organic mulch is a better choice for keeping weeds down, especially if you use a pre-emergent herbicide such as Amaze or Preen prior to laying the organic mulch. If you decide to use a pre emergent, be sure to read the label and apply according to label directions.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"