What to do? - Knowledgebase Question

colorado springs, Co
Question by dalekos58
Is it too late to plant bulbs this season? If not what is the best way or should I put them in a green house? Also what should I do with my rose bushes for the winter season, should I prune them back?

0

Your bulbs need to go into the ground now in order to grow and bloom well next spring. They won't be happy in a greenhouse (they need to experience 12-14 weeks of cold weather) so get them into the ground as soon as possible.

Roses should be protected from winter weather with insulated rose cones or something similar. Wait until they experience a frost, which will signal them to go dormant. Once they are dormant you can prune them back and cover them with rose cones or make cylinders out of chicken wire to place around each plant. Fill the cylinders with shredded leaves, straw, pine boughs or other loose material to help protect the roses.

Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"