persimmon tree - Knowledgebase Question

Name: wen rocklein
highland, Ca
Question by wen0
I planted a persimmon tree this march with small fruits on it.The tree is not doing well and almost losing all the leaves.But I noticed that young suckers are growing from below the graft site around the root.Is this tree worth saving? Also I planted a plum and apricot tree in march, both are not growing and stayed the same size.What can I do?Thanks.

0

It can take fruit trees a full year to establish their root systems and begin to grow so what you describe isn't all that unusual. The persimmon shows some signs of life if it is sending up sprouts from the roots. However, if the top is dying down you are losing the grafted portion and the new growth won't be the same. I'd be inclined to replace the tree with a healthy new specimen so you'll be sure of getting the best tasting persimmons. Your plum and apricot trees should show some signs of new growth each spring. They may not be getting quite what they need in terms of water and fertilizer. All trees need a deep soaking once a week (twice a week when the weather is hot and they are actively growing). They can also benefit from an annual application of fertilizer. I'd excavate a few inches of soil beneath each tree to use as a watering basin. Fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Once a week is all it takes. Watering in this fashion will concentrate the moisture directly over the root system and allows the water to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. If you water on a regular basis you should see a big improvement in the performance of your trees. Good luck with them!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"