white indian guava or China white guava? - Knowledgebase Question

tempe, Ar
Question by dcheng
I want to plant a guava tree which produces bigger size fruit but remain in smaller size tree. The tree must do well in the desert of Phoenix.

thanks,
daniel

0

Guavas actually thrive in both humid and dry climates, but can survive only a few degrees of frost. The tree will recover from a brief exposure to 29? F but may be completely defoliated. Young trees are particularly sensitive to cold spells. Older trees, killed to the ground, can send up new shoots which will fruit 2 years later. Guavas can take considerable neglect, withstanding temporary waterlogging and very high temperatures. They tend to bear fruit better in areas with a definite winter or cooler season. White Indian originated in Florida. It produces small to medium-sized, roundish fruit, 2-1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. The flesh os thick, white, and moderately seedy. It doesn't produce well but when it does, the fruit has an excellent, sprightly flavor. China White proudces large (up to a pound) white fleshed & green skinned fruit which are very sweet. The fruit has very aromatic flesh. These Guavas are tough & vigorous producing fruit September through December. If it were my landscape, I'd go with the China White.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"