Winterizing unplanted shrubs and trees - Knowledgebase Question

Randolph, Ma
Question by yvonnewatso
I have three roses, a Fringe tree, and one Abelia shrub. I don't want to plant them until the spring. Temperatures are dipping into the low 40's and it will only get colder here in zone 6.

I'm wondering what I can do to keep my plants over the winter? They are all in 3 to 5 gal nursery containers.

0

Plants in containers can really suffer winter damage because their roots are above-ground. The best course of action is to dig a large hole and bury the pots together in the hole for the winter months. Other types of insulation might work, as well. You can try wrapping the pots with insulating material, or setting them all in a cardboard box and stuffing insulation around each pot. It's probably much easier to plant them in their spots in the landscape so they can establish their root systems before spring arrives, but the choice is yours. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"