Pomegranate - Knowledgebase Question

Frisco, Te
Question by Z1nowar
How can I grow a pomegranate tree from seed? Also, I know that the fruit they bear are not true to the fruit...so is the fruit variety chosen at random in a way?

0

It's true - there's no way to know what kind of fruit a pomegranate will bear when you start one from seed because it may come from a flower that was cross pollinated. If you choose a locally grown pomegranate, your chances of having a variety that will grow well in your gardening region will be good. If you purchase a pomegranate at a grocery store and plant one of the seeds, you won't know whether or not it is adaptable to your growing region. So, try to find someone locally who is growing pomegranates, or go to a local Farmer's Market and pick up a fruit from one of the vendors. This will give you a greater possibility of growing a locally adapted pomegranate. The seeds can be planted one half inch deep in a container of moistened potting soil. Keep the container outdoors is a protected area of the garden and keep the potting soil moist. The seeds can sprout within a few days but can take as long as 6-8 weeks to germinate. Good luck with your new pomegranate!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"