jasmine bush/vine - Knowledgebase Question

oneonta, Ne
Question by elisabeth_we0
what is the best approach to wintering over a 10 ft. jasmine bush? we have been bringing it inside to avoid freezing but it seems to suffer a bit until spring. Feed? Watering schedule?

0

Most plants will take a few weeks to adjust to a new environment so whether you're taking your plant indoors in the fall or outdoors in the spring, the light levels, humidity, and temperatures will be different. During the adjustment phase you can expect some wilting, falling leaves, and an overall puny appearance. Most plants spring right back after 10-14 days. After this adjustment period I generally prune my plants back to both encourage healthy new growth and to remove anything that has wilted. While indoors you'll want to treat your jasmine as if it were springtime so the growth will match the warm indoor temperatures. Water thoroughly when needed but be sure to allow the top half inch of soil to dry out between waterings. Otherwise you may water too frequently. You can feed every 4-5 weeks with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer (I use Miracle Gro or Peter's). Feeding frequently with a diluted fertilizer will ensure your plant has an adequate supply of nutrients without the fear of overfeeding and burning the roots or leaves.

Best wishes with your jasmine!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"