Poinsettias - Knowledgebase Question

Chagrin Falls, Oh
Question by hptackova
Hello, would you, please, help me to get my Poinsettias ready for Christmas? I got bunch of them last Christmas at HomeDepot, they survived summer and are nice and GREEN. How can I get those Christams bright RED LEAVES on it? Thank you, Hana

0

Poinsettia flowering is photoperiodically induced. This means that flowers begin to form when the days are a certain length, or, more accurately, when the nights are long enough. The poinsettia is a short-day or long-night plant. Without long nights, this plant will continue to produce leaves and will grow but will never flower. You must make certain it receives no light from any source. Very short periods of lighting at night may be enough to prevent or interfere with flowering. To probide the required amound of darkness, set your plant in a closet or place a cardboard box over the entire plant in the evening and leave it on until the next morning, beginning in late September or early October. Dark periods longer than 12 hours are necessary for flower set. Flowers mature in from 60 to 85 days depending on varieties, temperature and light intensity. Because flower initiation depends upon the length of the dark period, your poinsettia must be kept completely dark from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. During the day give the poinsettia as much sunlight as possible. The time to give this treatment is from now until December 15. Once you can see the flowers developing in the leaves, you can stop the darkness treatment and keep your plant in a bright room. Best wishes with your poinsettia.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"