Bringing in houseplants from porch - Knowledgebase Question

milner, Ge
Question by sondrabags2
I just brought in one of my houseplants that has been on the screen porch all summer. I did spray with liquid soap and checked plant before entering house. I have since notice alot of gnats and I believe they are in the soil of the plant. I have spray again and took the plant back outside. What can I do to prepare the rest of my plants to bring inside. They are large plants and healty looking.

0

I think it's time to bring all of your houseplants indoors for the winter. Sounds like you're being overrun with fungus gnats. Fungus gnats breed in moist potting soil, and you can break the breeding cycle by allowing the surface of the soil to dry out. If you have plants that need moist soil simply place a quick draining and fast drying layer of gravel or sand on top of the potting soil. This will act as a barrier to the soil. Or, you can drape plastic wrap over the soil (cut a slit so you can place it close to the stems of your plant, then overlap the cut ends so the pests cannot find a way to the potting soil). You have to be a little patient with this method because you have to wait through the next generation's maturation before they are gone for good. In other words, once the generation now already in the soil become adults and die off without being able to reproduce, there should be no more gnats. Another method is to use a product called Gnatrol as a soil drench, another is to use an insecticidal soap as a soil drench. Of course, always follow the label instructions carefully. I hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"