Ornamental Grass? - Knowledgebase Question

Parker, Co
Question by ahlmannsisu
Hello! I think I have fountain grass in my garden. (We just moved.) It is about 2 feet tall with tan flowers. What should I do to it in the fall? Is it perennial? Do I cut it back? Some chunks have come out of the ground, but I think that might be the work of a mouse.... Thanks!

0

Not all ornamental grasses are perennial but with any luck yours is. Let's just treat it like a perennial and see what happens next spring. Allow the foliage to remain on the plant until next spring. It will look lovely in the winter and if snow weighs it down it will help insulate the roots of the plant. In the spring, after the snow melts, you can remove the old foliage. I don't cut mine off but instead I don a pair of rubber gloves and comb the plant, pulling up as I comb, to remove the old grass blades. New foliage should emerge in the late spring - if your plant is a perennial. I hope it is!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"