Will pumpkins turn orange by themselves? - Knowledgebase Question

Watertown, Co
Question by holycrosskid
I have a bunch of pumpkins and I don't think they're becoming any more orange. Most are green or orange with patches of green. If I pick them now will they turn orange by themselves? If I leave them will they rot away in the garden?

0

Pumpkins will turn completely orange when they are fully ripe. Don't remove them from the vine until the vines die down all on their own. Pumpkins can tolerate a light frost but if there is a heavy frost, the pumpkins will develop rot. I'd leave them in the garden until an overnight frost is predicted. A frost will kill the vines and you can harvest them. Place them in an unheated garage or outbuilding. They may continue to turn orange for you. If not, plan on carving them for holiday decorations or consuming them within a week or two of harvest. Good luck with your pumpkins.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"