Coffee Grounds - Knowledgebase Question

gilbert, Ar
Question by Tbredeson35
Hi im doing a project for my AG class wich involves seeing how coffee grounds affect plant growth.Ill be planting sunflower seeds. I want to have 3 pots of soil with the coffee grounds and three pots with just the soil. I need to know how much of the coffee grounds I should use and how much soil to use. I would also like to know how much water to use when watering the plants. Thanks

0

Since you're doing an experiment, why not plant one in pure coffee grounds, one in a 50/50 mixture of coffee grounds and potting soil, and one in a 50/50 mixture of coffee grounds and garden soil? For the pots without coffee grounds, fill one with straight potting soil, one with 50/50 potting soil and garden soil, and one with straight garden soil. These soils will be different enough that you should see a difference in plant growth right away. As for watering, water thoroughly and then allow the top half inch of growing media to dry out before watering again. Plant roots need oxygen as well as moisture so keeping the growing media too wet can drive out oxygen and essentially suffocate the roots. Check daily for water needs but don't expect to have to water everyday. Just water when the top of the soil dries out. Good luck with your experiment.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"