Mulching - Knowledgebase Question

BOSTON, Ma
Question by drlynda6
I have a white pine tree that drops lots of needles. I have seen pine needles used for mulch, is it possible for me to use these needles to mulch my flower beds? Also what is the benefit of using shredded leaves for mulching.

0

Pine needles make a terrific garden mulch. Eventually they will break down and you can dig them into the soil to help loosen the soil and add bulk. There is an advantage to using shredded leaves as a mulch material. They break down more quickly than pine needles which means you'll need to replace them more frequently, but because they break down quickly, they provide nutrients to the soil a little faster than pine needles will. Practically any readily available organic matter will make goo mulch for your flower beds. if you pile it about 3 inches thick it will suppress weeds, moderate soil temperature and slow water evaporation. The bonus to using organic mulch materials is that you can dig them into the soil at the end of the gardening season to help enrich your soil. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"