weeds in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Punta Gorda, Fl
Question by paulette1238
I had all new sod put down in May and it was doing great until about the beginning of Sept. I started to see many weeds. I pulled them out but last month it got worse so I put down Scotts Bonus S. It just keeps getting worse. I must do something as the cost of the Sod was $2,000. I have already sprayed for insects and pulled as many weeds as possible, as they seem to smother the lawn. It is Florat

0

Hand pulling or use of an herbicide are the most effective weed controls for your Floratam sod. A thick, healthy lawn will crowd out most weeds so here's how to get the upper hand: Turfgrass needs to be watered once or twice a week, depending upon weather. Deep soakings are preferable to daily sprinklings. Plan on applying one inch of water per week to your lawn. You can measure how much water your sprinklers put out by setting some empty cat food or tuna cans on the lawn and running the sprinklers. Start with running them for 15 mintues and then checking to see how much water has collected in the can. Your goal is a half inch if you water twice a week or one inch if you water once a week. The time it takes to deliver the proper amount of water is the length of time you should run your sprinklers. If water begins to run off the lawn before you get the required amount of water in the cans, plan on running for a while, turning the water off to allow it to soak in, then turning the water back on until the sprinklers have run for the correct amount of time. Plan on feeding your lawn in April, September and late November or early December. Use turf builder with weed control if you still have broadleaf weeds in your lawn in mid-summer. Ortho? Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer for St. Augustine Lawns, or Scotts? Bonus S Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns are safe for St. Augustine lawns. You can apply a pre-emergence herbicide in late February or early March to help keep new weeds from sprouting in your lawn. Several pre-emergents are available: Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer is one brand name. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"