winter care - Knowledgebase Question

Smyrna, Ge
Question by theprincessl1
I have potted hydrangeas, a gardenia,and a dead foxglove (which is showing signs of life). Should I bring them indoors for the winter? House or garage? Light? Can I put them in ground in spring?

0

The best way to overwinter your plants is outdoors. Since they are in containers they can suffer root damage unless you provide some protection from the winter weather. Burying the pots in the ground will keep the roots safe. If you can dig a shallow trench near the foundation of your home and set the pots in the trench, then cover over them with soil, they will be just fine. Failing that, try lining them up next to your home or garage and covering over the containers with a thick layer of straw, shredded leaves, pine boughs, or other organic material. The idea is to keep the roots from freezing solid during the winter. Or, you can plant them in the ground now and they'll winter over just fine. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"