Peonies - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
Late October, all of these are 1.5 year peonies. One has really lost its foliage and the others have had the dirt wash away. They look as if they are shooting up new shoots. I want to dig these up and move them, should I wait a few more weeks or is it safe to move them now. Thanks. (link to pictures: http://gallery.me.com/jadigidy...)

0

I followed the link and found pictures of Evie and a couple (under Hmmmm) of plants. One is a peony, another looks like Rudbeckia. So, without close up photos I can only offer an educated guess. Peonies can grow tall and the stems can be weak, which can make the plant topple over as the one in the picture did. Garden centers carry Peony Hoops which are support systems that you can place over the peony in the spring and train the stems to go into the wire grids or hoops which will help hold them upright. You might look into those for next year. As for what to do with your plants now, I'd go ahead and cut the old foliage down to ground level, dig and move the peonies. Try not to damage the new sprouts when you dig and replant. They should continue to grow nicely for you. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"