propagation by scaling - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I'm trying to propagate lilies by scaling. The scales have been in the bag now for 6 weeks and have bulbits with 2 inch roots. Should I detach them and but them in the refrigerator or just plant them? If I need to plant them what kind of medium do I use. If I need to but them in the refrigerator do I detach them from the scales or put the whole thing in. Thank you

0

I prefer to leave the bulblets attached to the scales (they use the scales as a source of nutrition). You can plant them in regular potting soil, burying the roots but leaving the little bulblets and at least part of the scale above the soil level. Since your winter weather is traditionally mild, you can set the pots outdoors in a protected area and in the spring you should see some new growth. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"