pruning plants - Knowledgebase Question

Monongahela, Pe
Question by fishantiques
Should I prune my raspberry bushes to ground level for winter.
How do I get rid of snow on the mountain it has taken over one of my garden spaces.
should rose bushes be trimmed to the ground for winter,my uncle did this many years ago and he had a beautiful rose garden in summer.
thank you for your input

0

You can prune off any raspberry canes that produced fruit this year. Snow on the Mountain should be dug out of the ground, roots and all. While you can spray the tops with Round Up, this product is a vegetation killer and will affect any desireable plants you have planted near the Snow on the Mountain. The safest approach is to dig the offending plants out of the ground. Rose pruning depends upon the types of roses you are growing. Pruning them down to the ground as your Uncle did will certainly remove any insect or disease problems so they can't overwinter and re-infect the plants in the spring. However, it might be too extreme for the newer hybrid roses. If you're game, why not try this process on one of your roses this winter. If you like the way it reacts and recovers next spring, you can use the same technique for all your roses next winter.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"