Ridding my indoor plants of the gnarly little gnats - Knowledgebase Question

Portage, Mi
Question by Denise166
November 2, 2010
Hello, repotted several house plants a few months back and can't seem to get rid of the gnats that have grown to love them. Peace lily, philadendrom, etc. I've tried the organic spray, they're still here. Any other ideas? Thank you.

November 2, 2010

0

Here are two strategies for controlling fungus gnats. They breed in moist potting soil, so you can break the breeding cycle by allowing the surface of the soil to dry out. If you have plants that need moist soil simply place a quick draining and fast drying layer of gravel or sand on top of the potting soil. This will act as a barrier to the soil. Or, you can drape plastic wrap over the soil (cut a slit so you can place it close to the stems of your plant, then overlap the cut ends so the pests cannot find a way to the potting soil). You have to be a little patient with this method because you have to wait through the next generation's maturation before they are gone for good. In other words, once the generation now already in the soil become adults and die off without being able to reproduce, there should be no more gnats. Another method is to use a product called Gnatrol as a soil drench, another is to use an insecticidal soap as a soil drench. Of course, always follow the label instructions carefully.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"