Planting garden mum - Knowledgebase Question

Gibsonia, Pe
Question by klcchang
November 3, 2010
Hi, I live in Pittsburgh, PA was wondering if it is too late to plant garden mum I brought from Home Depot? Will they come back next year?

November 3, 2010

0

Garden mums are reasonably cold tolerant so you can plant yours in your garden now and expect it to continue flowering at least through the month of November (and beyond if it is happy). After planting, water your mum well to help it settle in. Be sure to cut away the flowers as they fade. This will encourage the development of additional flowers. Eventually your mum will stop flowering and the stems and leaves will die back. At that time prune everything down to ground level and cover over the top of the soil with 4-5 inches of organic mulch (pine needles, pine boughs, straw or shredded leaves). The plant will rest until springtime. Rake or brush away the organic mulch and your mum will send up new stems and leaves. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"