SEEDS - Knowledgebase Question

LAWRENCE, Ne
Question by EFPBROKER
November 3, 2010
Hi, Iam having trouble getting my grass seed to germinate when I try to fill in bare spots, I had planted a new lawn in the spring and had no trouble getting it to grow but had many bare spots due to birds and heavy rains at times. In the fall I spot seeded the bare spots about 3 times now, I used peat moss and the same contractors lawn mix I used initially. very little growth and many of the see

November 3, 2010

0

Although grass seed will sprout in temperatures as low as 40F, it can take a couple of weeks for you to see any green at all. Spring or early fall (Sept.) is the best time to overseed bare spots. Sounds as though you've done everything you can so there's not much else you can do to encourage seed germination. It's important that the seed make good contact with the earth. If you have not been raking the ground prior to broadcasting the seeds, you might try doing that. If all else fails, cover over the bare spots with straw or pine needles to help keep the soil from eroding this winter and then overseed the bare spots in the spring when the soil temperature warms. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"