correct zones - Knowledgebase Question

Jacumba, Ca
Question by shujay1
November 4, 2010
I live in Jacumba,Ca. I am 15 miles east of the Tecate divide at 2750 ft.Should i be in the desert zone instead of in the inland valley zone? Winter nites are in the 20's with 60-80* days . Spring and fall are warm/mild and summer's are 90-103* I am a black thumb too.

November 4, 2010

0

Your elevation is key to deciding which gardening zone best fits your garden. sunset Western Garden guide puts you in their zone 11 which includes the "Medium to High Desert of California and Southern Nevada. Growing season: early April to late Oct. Summers are sizzling, with 110 days above 90 degrees F/32 degrees C. Balancing this is a 3 1/2-month winter, with 85 nights below freezing and lows from 11 degrees to 0 degrees F/-12 degrees to -18 degrees C. Scant rainfall comes in winter." If you are not familiar with Sunset Western Garden Book, check out a copy at your local library. It contains a wealth of information about plants suitable for your gardening region.

Your zip code puts you in USDA gardening zone 8B. To be on the safe side, you can plant anything that is hardy down to zone 8. I hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"