My Precious - Knowledgebase Question

Glen Burnie, Ma
Question by mymistye
November 6, 2010
What do I need to do to winterize my roses? Do I prune now or later because
its to late to do it now?
Also I don't know how to trim my DRACAENA. The ends of foliage have got browned and I need to get it growing right again.Do I cut the whole leaf or cut off a piece of the brown part???

November 6, 2010

0

Roses can be pruned after your first hard frost sends them into dormancy. They can be pruned any time from early December through the month of March. You can prune yours down once they've gone dormant and then protect them by placing rose cones over the tops of the plants or by mounding 2' of organic matter (shredded leaves, pine boughs, compost, etc.) over the bases of the plants. In the spring remove the organic matter and prune away any winter killed stems.

Dracaena can develop brown tips on the leaves if the humidity around the plant is low or if they are over watered. You can trim off the brown parts of the leaves. Be careful with watering, especially in the winter when the plants are growing slowly. Water completely, then allow the top half inch of potting soil to dry out between waterings. Best wishes with your dracaena!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"