Do I or Don't I fertilize - Knowledgebase Question

Glen Burnie, Ma
Question by mymistye
November 6, 2010
I've been hearing many advertisment for fertilize
for the winter,but I don't
want a thicker lawn I just
to keep the weeds and crabgrass from growing in my yard,and if I have to winterize/fertilze to keep
the weeds/crabgrass out then shall be it I say.Now
what do I need to use is my BIG question.Help:{

November 6, 2010

0

Winterizer fertilizer is low in nitrogen (which promotes green growth) but high in phosphorous and potassium (which helps strengthen stems and roots). You can use a winterizer type fertilizer on your lawn now to help it maintain good health over the winter months. In early spring you can apply a pre emergent herbicide to help keep crabgrass and other weeds from sprouting.

Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedlings. Watch the weather - late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. Proper lawn maintenance practices can limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of May and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can also limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"