red oak trees - Knowledgebase Question

lubbock, Te
Question by myl_barbstil
November 7, 2010
We just moved & we have a ring of 5 red oaks. some of the limbs look like they are busting out of their bark. Is this normal or do we need to do something?

November 7, 2010

0

I wish I could examine the tree because I'm not sure what's going on with your red oak. Shedding bark is not normal and could indicate a disease. On the other hand, woodpeckers can damage and splinter the bark so this might be what you're seeing. To complicate matters, there is an insect than can cause galls to form on oak trees and as these galls age they can shatter and fall to the ground, leaving some debris behind. I can't really diagnose the problem without seeing. Why not take a few close up photos of the damaged limbs and take the pictures to your local cooperative extension office for help with identification of the problem? Contact Texas A&M, 1102 E FM 1294, Lubbock phone (806) 746-6101. Hope it's nothing serious!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"