Shade Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Roebuck, So
Question by cwalton2234
November 7, 2010
My front yard gets morning sun and the rest shade and I have one large and one small raised beds with nothing in them. I was wondering what kind of flowering shrubs, perennials, or bulbs would do good here. Do you have any suggestions. I have thought about a hydranga but im not sure about it. I have also been told to try lily in the valley but i dont know where to buy it. Thanks.

November 7, 2010

0

The sun exposure is challenging because shade loving plants will burn up in the afternoon sunshine. The good news is that sun loving plants will patiently wait out the morning shade as long as they get at least 4 hours of sunshine in the afternoon. So, I'd choose sun loving plants for the area. Here are a few suggestions:
Yarrow, Lily of the Nile, Century plant, Bluestem grass, Artemesia, Butterfly weed, Baptisia, Blackberry lily, Coreopsis, Ice plant, Blanket Flower, Gaura, Helianthus, Daylily, False Red Yucca, Bearded Iris, Kniphofia, lantana, lavender, Liatris, Sea Lavender, Catmint, Russian Sage, Black eyed Susan, Ruellia, Salvia greggi and Verbena. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"