lupins and aphids - Knowledgebase Question

Marblehead, Ma
Question by jodymagee
November 8, 2010
good morning:

my lupins suffer from aphid infestation each year. I was told that the aphids lays eggs that hatch in the spring. So, what and how early in the spring can i do something(s) to prevent the eggs from hatching. thank you very much. Jody Magee

November 8, 2010

0

Aphids are interesting insects. They begin life by hatching from overwintering eggs. The aphids that hatch are females and they're ready to give birth to live young. Each aphid reproduces in this way until in the early fall when a few males are born. They mate with some of the females and the females lay eggs which overwinter to begin the cycle over again the following spring. There are some beneficial wasps that destroy some of the eggs but some always survive and hatch in the spring so you'll want to remove as many of the eggs as possible by cleaning up all the garden debris in the fall and early winter. Either compost or toss it in the trash. A clean yard will be a little more aphid free when spring approaches. You can suffocate insect eggs by using a dormant oil on most woody plants (read the label just to make sure). Best wishes with your lupines.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"