How to tie up shrubs for winter - Knowledgebase Question

West Brookfield, Ma
Question by jodytebo2
November 8, 2010
I am looking for info with pictures on how to tie shrubs for winter is there a time period and are different shapes tied different? Is twine the best to use, I know burlap and making a teepee are best but how to tie with out these is what I need to know. Is spriraling good for all and how do you do a square shaped shrub???? any help would be greatly appericated. I live in New England Thanks Jody

November 8, 2010

0

The stems of upright evergreens with multiple leaders, including arborvitae and juniper, can be protected from being spread apart under the weight of wet snow by tying together the leaders using strips of strong cloth or thick twine. Leaders should be tied about two-thirs of the way up the stems. The leaders of young multi-stemmed deciduous trees, such as birch, can be tied in the same fashion. Another technique used with upright evergreens involves tying rope or heavy twine at the base of the plant and then wrapping it in spiral fashion upward to the top and then back down in reverse spiral. Ties should always be removed before new growth begins in the spring. Small plants can be protected from snow and ice sliding off roofs by teepee-shaped wooden frames placed over them.

The University of Minnesota has a publication with line drawings to show you exactly how to tie the shrubs: http://www.extension.umn.edu/d...

Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"