Aphid eggs' winter / spring treatment - Knowledgebase Question

Marblehead, Ma
Question by jodymagee
November 10, 2010
I asked this question recently and you told me to

November 10, 2010

0

Insecticidal soap is made from plant fatty acids so there's a small amount of oil in the product. The oil can suffocate the overwinter eggs if it comes in contact with them. But most gardeners simply clean up the garden at the end of the season which will remove most of the plant material that may harbor overwintering aphid eggs. I'm not sure a late fall or early winter spray will be nearly as effective as simply cleaning up the garden. I'd strongly suggest you plant a variety of cool season annuals in your garden. Ladybugs will be more attracted to your garden if you have lots of colorful flowers in bloom and they should stay all season long if you have an aphid population. Then, if you see more aphids than the ladybugs can control, you can use your Insecticidal Soap sprays.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"