Composting leaves with grass - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
November 10, 2010
I have dead grass rakings, grass clippings and a lot of fall leaves that I will shred with my blower/vac.
Can I use all the leaves or only at a certain proportion to the grass? I would like the compost to be ready to use by Springtime.
Thanks in advance.

November 10, 2010

0

I usually layer my grass clippings and leaves in the compost pile so I can measure approximately equal amounts of each. I also add a shovelful of garden soil, which contains all kinds of microbes to help jump start the compost. After you have added all your grass clippings and shredded leaves, mix everything together to get it cooking. As long as you turn the compost pile every 4-7 days, it will heat up and everything will decompose in time for spring. If you don't turn the pile it won't maintain heat and the materials will be slow to decompose. Good luck with your compost pile.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"