tomatoes and strawberries - Knowledgebase Question

mesa, Ar
Question by graystonedes
November 10, 2010
I just purchased some mature looking strawberry and tomato plants from Hoem Depot. If I plant them in full sun, can I expect to get them to bear fruit? Is there anything I can do to make tha happen other than good soil, water, and fertalizer? How much water is appropriate for those two plants when planted in pots? I will cage the tomatoes to htlep thme climb and get sturdy. Any tips?

November 10, 2010

0

Lots of sunshine and protection from frosty weather will help your plants produce in late spring (usually March in the Valley of the Sun). Plants grow slowly in cold weather so they won't need quite as much water as they might in the summertime. The best advice is to water when the soil begins to dry out. You'll be able to tell when your plants need water by picking up the containers. They will be heavy when the soil is saturated and feel lightweight when they need water. Or, you can stick your finger down into the potting soil. If it is still moist an inch below the soil surface they won't need water for a few more days; if the soil feels dry, it's time to water. Best wishes with your new plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"