Gladiolus - Knowledgebase Question

Glen Burnie, Ma
Question by mymistye
November 10, 2010
I was just told that gladiolus need to be dug up for the winter.But what if I choose not to how can I prepare my plants for the winter with
out digging it up.As a beginner,answer me as to why don't they print info about digging up bulbs on the labels.They just let think that the plants are

November 10, 2010

0

The reason for digging and storing is that tender bulbs such as gladiola and dahlia can freeze and turn to mush if left in the ground. That's why they are planted in the spring after danger of frost is past. If you choose not to dig the glads you can try cutting off the dead foliage and stems and then covering over the top of the soil with a thick layer of organic mulch. I hope they survive. If not, you might consider planting bulbs that can stay in the ground, such as daffodil and tulips.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"