Arborvitae root removal - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
November 11, 2010
I built up a flower bed in front of my 4 arborvitae shrubs a few years ago. Now I realize that I need the bed 6

November 11, 2010

0

What you describe sound like surface roots and they have invaded the bed because of the moisture and nutrients they're finding in the flower bed. You can prune the roots off and it shouldn't compromise the health of the shrubs. Most of the important roots will be growing downward from the bases of the shrubs. An alternative to removing the bed or lowering by 6 inches is to simply excavate a trench and place a perforated drainage pipe into the bed. The excess water should drain into the pipe and out of the bed. Be sure to make the pipe long enough to carry the excess water out of and away from the bed - similar to a weeping tile that's installed near the foundation of most houses. Just a thought.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"