Tiny snails & yellow jackets in front bushes! - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by pkeaster
November 12, 2010
Our front bushes have grown from babies to HUGE in 2 years. This fall they have become infested with tiny white-shelled snails that cling to the branches by the hundreds. Worse, we now have tons of yellow jackets that like our bushes/the snails. We can't find a nest on our property. We HAVE to get rid of them. Our 2 young boys have been stung and the bushes are right at the front door. Help!

November 12, 2010

0

The white snails are really difficult to get rid of but if you do manage to reduce the population, the wasps will most likely go away on their own. Under most circumstances you can use snail/slug bait to control the pests. I use the iron based product called Sluggo. It's safe to use around people and pets and it does a good job controlling the pests. However, the snails need to consume the product and it isn't likely they will unless they migrate down to the soil at sometime during the day or night. If the snails retreat during the day or night, you can broadcast some Sluggo around the ground under the shrubs. The snails will feed on the bait and will go away and die. If the snails do not climb down from the shrubs, I don't think the bait will work very well. If you cannot control the snails, you may need to remove the shrubs to remove the pests. Before replanting, be sure to treat the area with Sluggo or other snail bait or any new shrubs you plant will become hosts to the pests. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"