Peonies - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
November 13, 2010
I have a few peonies that are so shallow, I can see the red buds springing up for next year. I also have some, one in particular that was spectacular last year and I don't see anything for it yet. Should I be worried? I need to move the peony but I'm worried it may not be strong enough to survive a quick move. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

November 13, 2010

0

Peonies are very picky and will sometimes sulk if they are moved when they are actively growing so the very best time to dig and move a peony is in the fall, after frost has nipped the tops down and the roots are dormant. You can move yours now but it may not flower for a year or two. It won't die if you move it now, but it may look puny until the roots re-establish themselves so expect some wilting of the foliage. You can plant yours a little deeper when you transplnat it (3-4 inches deep is just right). Best wishes with your peony!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"