Peonies - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Avatar for jason73
Question by jason73
November 13, 2010
I have a few peonies that are so shallow, I can see the red buds springing up for next year. I also have some, one in particular that was spectacular last year and I don't see anything for it yet. Should I be worried? I need to move the peony but I'm worried it may not be strong enough to survive a quick move. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

November 13, 2010
Peonies are very picky and will sometimes sulk if they are moved when they are actively growing so the very best time to dig and move a peony is in the fall, after frost has nipped the tops down and the roots are dormant. You can move yours now but it may not flower for a year or two. It won't die if you move it now, but it may look puny until the roots re-establish themselves so expect some wilting of the foliage. You can plant yours a little deeper when you transplnat it (3-4 inches deep is just right). Best wishes with your peony!

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Zoia and is called "Tulip Lilac Wonder"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.