broccoli - Knowledgebase Question

Prescott Valley, Ar
Question by bmdwiggins
November 13, 2010
Had beautiful plants but no big crown. Small florets and chewy not crisp. What did I do wrong.

November 13, 2010

0

You didn't mention when you planted your broccoli so I don't know if the weather was responsible for the poor growth, but I suspect it contributed to the disappointing yield. Broccoli grows best in cool temperatures and transplants are typically planted in mid-September (at the earliest), right through January. They generally ripen about 90 days after planting. If you plant new broccoli transplants now, they will grow beautifully this winter and be ready for harvest in late February or early March. They should develop large crowns and if harvested before they begin to flower, the crowns should be nice and crisp. Hope this information helps you grow a fantastic new crop this winter.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"