Rope Lighting - Knowledgebase Question

Rochester, Mi
Question by jlvasquez
November 15, 2010
I was just at my local HomeDepot and the person at the Garden Center told me that she read in a garden magazine that you can use Rope Lighting to grow from seeds. True or False?

November 15, 2010

0

I don't have experience with it so I don't know whether or not it would be successful. I have my doubts, though. Seedlings need a full spectrum of light waves and I don't think the bulbs in rope lights will provide that. We generally recommend using fluorescent bulbs for seed starting; one cool white and one warm white bulb in a hooded shop light fixture. The fixture has chains so you can raise and lower the light source depending upon the sizes of your seedlings. Keep the fluorescent lights on 12-14 hours per day and the lights only 2 or 3 inches above the tops of the seedlings.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"