Iris' - Knowledgebase Question

Corrales, Ne
Question by mimburhans
November 15, 2010
Is it too late to dig up some iris's so that I can build a terrace garden. If I can dig them up, where should I keep them during the winter? and is there anything in particular I should do with them.
Thanks,
Mim Burhans

November 15, 2010

0

Bearded iris are hardy in your area and can stay in the ground over the winter but if you need to store them indoors for some reason here?s what you do. Dig up your iris, cut back the fans to 3-4 inches and store them in a ventilated container with some peat moss. Keep the box in a cool location(40-50 degrees) such as a basement/crawl space. Occasionally check on the rhizomes to see if they are rotting or shriveling. Toss out any rotting rhizomes and if they are shriveling add a touch of water to the peat to hydrate the rhizome and keep it firm.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"