propagating lilies by scaling - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
November 15, 2010
I have planted my lily bulbets still attached to the scales as advised by a Home Depot expert. When am I suppose to detach the small bulbs from the scales and when am I suppose to put them in the refrigerator for a cooling period? Thank you.

November 15, 2010

0

Don't detach the bulblets from the scales. The scales will deteriorate and decompose all on their own. Until then, the bulbils will get some nourishment from them. Once the bulblets develop their own root systems they will have no further use for the scales and the scales will decompose. When the bulblets are about the size of green peas or shelled filberts (their growth depends on the type of lily) they can be moved into cold storage for their first "winter." After six to eight weeks of temperatures just above freezing, the bulblets are ready to be planted either outdoors or in a greenhouse. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"