Brown Bumps on Crape Myrtle - Knowledgebase Question

Costa Mesa, Ca
Question by michelle_sim
November 15, 2010
I just notice that there are tons of brown bumps on my Crape Myrtle tree. They come off when scraped. What are they and how can I save my tree?

November 15, 2010

0

What you describe sounds like scale insects and their feeding will eventually show up in a black substance (sooty mold) on the surface of the leaves of your tree. You can control scale insects with a winter application of horticultural oil which suffocates the insects or with a systemic insecticide such as Imidacloprid (Merit? or Bayer Advanced? Garden Tree and Shrub Insect Control) and dinotefuran (Greenlight Tree and Shrub Insect Control with Safari). Whichever product you decide to use, be sure to apply according to label directions. Good luck with your crape myrtle.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"