Euphorbia Abyssinica in 29 Palms; cold protection? - Knowledgebase Question

Twentynine Palms, Ca
Question by californiak8
November 17, 2010
10 yrs. in a pot, now in ground. Last winter mild & it got some damage at top. Area can get to low 20's. I'm only at my cabin 1X/mo. Can I wrap it in burlap for that length of time? Or....?

November 17, 2010

0

Euphorbia Abyssinica is generally hardy to about 23 degrees. When it was potted you could temporarily move your plant to a protected area such as under an eave, close to the foundation of your cabin. Now that it is in the ground, and since you cannot cover the plant overnight and then uncover it in the morning, I'm afraid it will just have to tolerate the weather. You really should not wrap the plant for any length of time. This will cause more damage than the frost. It's a real quandry but because you won't be there to cover it as needed, your plant will just have to suffer the consequences of cold weather. Wish I had a solution but other than digging it up and repotting so you can move it when the weather is cold, there's really not much you can offer in the way of winter protection. Best wishes with your plant!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"