crocus bulb - Knowledgebase Question

fairfax, Vi
Question by rohini_m_200
November 18, 2010
Hi,
I bought a bag of mixed spring crocus bulbs recently. I put them according to instructions in containers to allow 15 weeks of 40F (last week of october) temperature. Today i saw few of them have sprouted. Is it ok or did i do something wrong. I left the containers in patio.
Thanks...
Fairfax VA

November 18, 2010

0

I hate it when that happens! I've had bulbs do the same thing! Rest assured that they will be fine. When the weather gets more winter-like they'll stop growing and wait until it gets slightly warmer to put on more growth. Bulbs are used to really cold temperatures and have something like anti-freeze in the tissues. I've even had green sprouts poking out of several inches of snow. If you want to avoid this in the future you should plant your bulbs in containers as usual and then sink the containers into the soil in the garden. The soil will keep the bulbs and roots cooler than they'd be if they were just sitting out on the patio.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"