Poinsettia - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Charles, Lo
Question by deemanuel200
November 19, 2010
How do I get a poinsettias to bloom. It has been outside in shade all year. What do I do to get it to bloom. Thanks, Dee

November 19, 2010

0

It's a little late in the season to start the conditioning process so I'm not sure you can get your poinsettia to bloom for you over the holidays. Poinsettias need about 10-12 weeks of long nights in order to develop flowers and those beautiful red leaves. Next year you can encourage colorful foliage for the holidays by taking your poinsettia indoors the first week of October and setting it in a dark closet overnight (from 5 p.m. until about 8 a.m. the next morning). During the day move it into bright light. Repeat the process until the first or second week of December. By then the flowers will appear and the topmost leaves will take on the red coloration that makes it look so festive during the holidays.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"