PlantCODE# THDA2099 - Knowledgebase Question

Oxford, Ge
Question by mansoent
November 19, 2010
I BOUGHT THIS PLANT 3WKS AGO, AND IT HAS PLANT BUGS, A WHIGHT POWERY SUBSTANCE IS ON THE LEAVES OF THE TREE, AND IT HAS DYING SPOTS ALL OVER , THE TIPS ALSO, WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS TYPE OF INFESTATION. IT IS STILL GREEN I JUST NOTICED 2DAYS AGO, SO WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP. ITS GETTING PLENTY OF LITE AND WATER?

November 19, 2010

0

The plant code indicates you purchased a Queen Palm. A white powdery substance sounds like the fungal disease called powdery mildew which can develop if the plant does not get enough sunshine or if it is overcrowded and does not get good air circulation all around. It doesn't do well as an indoor plant so if you have it inside, take it out where it will get at least 5 hours of direct sunshine each day. You didn't describe the bugs so I'm not sure what to suggest to control them. You might try hosing the plant off once you get it outside to help dislodge the insect pests. Direct a strong stream of water at the insects and repeat on a daily basis until you see no more insects. Powdery mildew will kill the leaves if left untreated so try spraying the leaves (upper and lower sides) with a garden fungicide such as neem oil or Daconil. Hope this does the trick!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"