MERLITON - Knowledgebase Question

LAPLACE, Lo
Question by bowlady1939
November 19, 2010
HI THIS IS THERESA AGAIN AND I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION I AM TRYING TO GROW MERLITON THE PLANTS START OFF NICE AND GREEN BUT AFTER A WHILE THE LEAVES TURN YELLOW AND DRY UP BUT THEY ALL COME BACK GREEN AGAIN .BUT I JUST CANT GET ANY MERLITON .IS THIS A DISEASE AND HOW CAN I HELP IT.

November 19, 2010

0

The mirliton, or chayote, is also commonly called vegetable pear in its Louisiana homeland. But it's not terribly fussy about where it lives, as long as you can provide for its very basic requirements. Mirliton loves sunshine and warm weather, and must have a growing season of 150 days in between frosts. They generally do not produce fruit until October or November so you may be a little over-anxious in terms of fruit production. Yellowing leaves are usually due to water stress so it's important to keep the soil evenly moist. You might even place a 3-4 inch layer of mulch over the soil surface to help slow water evaporation. For an in-depth look at how to grow these plants, visit the Louisiana State University website:

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/...

Hope you find this information helpful.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"