Greenhouse Seed Starting - Knowledgebase Question

Mertztown, PA
Question by TPlatz3671
I have a greenhouse about 12X10 and it has heat and a fan. I would like to start seeds in there. I read alot about air circulation. Everything I have is thermostatically controlled so, in order to get air to circulate I need to set the heat higher than the fan is set so it runs. My question is how much air circulation do the seeds/plants need? What temp. should I set it for starting seeds and then once the seeds have started growing what temp. should it be.? Any help on starting and growing my seeds/plants in my 1st adventure in my greenhouse would be greatly appreciated.

0

Many greenhouses are equipped with a very small recirculating fan which can be left on all the time. You might look into adding one of those because you certainly don't want to run extra heat. The air circulation need only be slight to help ward of fungal attacks; too strong a breeze will dry out the seedlings.

Different seeds have different optimum starting temperatures, but most will start fine at normal household temperaturesor slightly warmer and then grow on at cooler temperatures, say 60 degrees or so. For this reason many gardeners will germinate the seeds in a small container set in a warm spot, then transplant the seedlings to individual containers and set those in a location with optimum growing temperatures. It is also interesting that seedlings grown in warmer temperatures tend to be very tender when it comes time to set them outdoors, so warmer is not always better.

You might find the information in these two articles interesting.

Seedstarting Made Easy at http://www.gardeners.com/garde...

Seedling Savvy at http://207.201.7.73/nga/articl...

Enjoy your greenhouse!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"