Storing Various Winter Bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
November 20, 2010
I am trying to properly understand storing bulbs such as calla lillies, Trumpet Lilies and (potted) dahlias, but a little confused. Should I dig them up, brush them off, let them dry out, wrap them up say in newspaper and store them in a bin for the winter? Am I on the right track? T.I.A!

November 20, 2010

0

You are on the right track! The lily bulbs and dahlia tubers can be dug once the tops of the plants die down in the fall. Remove the stems and foliage and carefully dig them up, then brush away the excess soil and either wrap them in newspaper or bury them in a cardboard box filled with peat moss. The newspaper or peatmoss will help keep them from becoming overly dry. Store them in a cool place that remains above freezing (such as a garage or basement). You can replant them when the weather warms in the spring. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"